International Visiting Students

ON2019-05-27TAG: ShanghaiTech UniversityCATEGORY: attachment

International visiting students coming to ShanghaiTech through research cooperation between faculty members or academic activities need to contact the host school or faculty member for entry details. For reference, here is information about registration and visa information.  

Registration Guidance for International Visiting Students

Entry Visa

1.    Please apply for X1 or X2 visa at the local Chinese Embassy or Consulate in your home country. X1visa shall be issued to those who intend to study in China for a period of more than 180 days. And X2 visa shall be issued to those who intend to study in China for a period of no more than 180 days.

You will need to provide: 

       - Valid, regular passport with at least six months left of validity

       - Admission Notice from ShanghaiTech

       - JW202 Form (only for X1 visa application)

2.    When you receive your passport with the Chinese visa in it, please make sure that the embassy or consulate also returns the Admission Notice and JW 202 Form page 3 (the yellow page) to you. These are essential documents which you will need to submit at the Shanghai Exit-Entry Administration Bureau when you come to China and apply for your residence permit. 

3.     Please pay attention to your visa expiration date. If the information in your passport changes (for example you renew your passport), you should renew your visa within ten days of the change.

Residence Permit

1.     If you hold a X1 visa, you will need to apply for a residence permit within 30 days after entering China. If you stay in China for more than six months, you are required to apply for a residence permit. The Shanghai Public Security Bureau Exit-Entry Administration Bureau processes your application for visa and residence permit.

2.    Documents needed for residence permit application for the first time (For reference only):

       - Valid, regular passport

       - Admission Notice

       - JW202 Form

       - Physical Examination Record for Foreigners (issued by Shanghai Exit-Entry Inspection and Quarantine Bureau, International Travel Healthcare Center)

       - Registration Form of Temporary Accommodation (issued by Sunqiao Police Station)

       - Introduction Letter for Visa (issued by Office of International Affairs)

       - One passport-sized photo

       - Payment

3.    Exit-Entry Administration Bureau of Shanghai Public Security Bureau:

1500 Minsheng Rd., Pudong New District, Shanghai

Service Hours: Monday to Saturday, 9:00 a.m. – 17:00 p.m.

Physical Examination/Verification

1.     Physical examination or verification required for:

        - International students with X1 visa

        - International students with X2 visa, who will be studying for over 6 months in China

        - International students applying for residence permit for the first time

        - International students who need to re-apply for residence permits after 3 months+ expiration. 

2.      Documents needed (For reference only):

        - Valid regular passport and a copy

        - Admission Notice

        - Complete physical examination report for verification (for those who have had physical examination taken in their own country)

        - 4 passport-sized photos (2’*2’)

        - Payment

3.     Shanghai Exit-Entry Inspection and Quarantine Bureau, International Travel Healthcare Center:

15 Jinbang Rd., Changning District, Shanghai

Service Hours: Monday to Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.

You should keep an empty stomach before doing the physical examination.


All visiting students are required to live in student apartments. After check-in, you need to go to the Campus Service Center where you can get a certificate of collective accommodation. Please carry with you the certificate and your passport to Sunqiao Police Station to go through the temporary accommodation registration procedure within 24 hours of your arrival.


In order to ensure the safety of international students during their stay here, and according to the regulations issued by the Chinese Ministry of Education, long-term international students must purchase mandatory Comprehensive Insurance & Protection Scheme for Foreigners Staying in China. The insurance fee for long-term students is RMB 400 for 6 months and RMB 800 for a year. For detailed information, please check the official website:, Operation Instructions for Paying Insurance Premium Online and Online Payment Procedure (Insurance for International Students) on


1.     If a student lose a passport, they must report the loss to the Shanghai Exit-Entry Administration Bureau and contact their country’s consulate to apply for a new passport. 

2.     If a student gets a new passport, they’ll need to re-register their residence at the police and go to the Office of International Affairs to update their new passport details, obtain a new Introduction Letter, and go to the Shanghai Exit-Entry Administration Bureau within 10 days.

3.     If a student plans to prematurely end their study at ShanghaiTech while holding a residence permit valid for a longer period, the student should obtain an official letter to have their residence permit cancelled at the Shanghai Exit-Entry Administration Bureau before they leave ShanghaiTech. The university will report any student who fails to do so to Shanghai Exit-Entry Administration Bureau and the student bears all the consequences.

4.     International visiting students are not allowed to engage in internships.

Safety Tips

1.     Do not travel abroad during your stay in ShanghaiTech and be sure to comply with the rules and regulations of the university and your lab.

2.     If you feel unwell, please visit the doctor as soon as possible. If you have any queries about how to seek medical attention in China, please consult your lab contact or lab tutors.

3.     Remember to always bring along an emergency contact card with contact details of your friends, relatives or teachers in China.

4.     Do not leave your bag and clothing unattended. When travelling, carry your bag at the front of your body and stay alert. Be carefully when you cross the road.

5.     Please adhere to the traffic rules and watch for vehicles. Do not ride on motorcycles without licenses and never drive any vehicles after you drink.

6.     The cultivation, sale, and possession of marijuana for recreational purposes is illegal in China.

7.     The university respects the customs and religious beliefs of international students, but missionary and religious gatherings are banned on campus.

8.     Please closely observe safety rules when using electrical appliances. Switch off the power and gas before leaving your room. Do not light candles or smoke indoors and dispose your cigarettes carefully.  

9.     Remember to return your dorm key back to student apartment attendant before you leave. Any damage of the public property will be charged.